Posted by: bearcruzer | June 12, 2010


May 23 – 30th

Arrived in St. Thomas and spent one day restocking a few meal provisions and picked up a couple of fans from Budget Marine that Michael will install in our cabin to make it more comfortable to sleep.   We enjoyed a meal out with David and Trudie and in the morning parted ways to head over to St. John making one stop for fuel and topping off our water.   Persephone has an excellent weather window and so will travel on to St. Martin.    We motored across to St. John and picked up a mooring off of Honeymoon Beach.     The moorings have been installed by the Park Service to help protect the reefs within the marine park and boats are required to use them within the parks boundaries at a nominal $15.00 per day.    We were greeted by a number of laughing gulls who had no fear of humans and found Mighty Mouse to be a comfortable perch.   After enjoying their company we hopped into Mighty Mouse and headed to Cruz Bay.   It had been 5 years since we were last here and we look forward to meeting up with many of our friends.  We walked around the town commenting on the things that had changed and those that hadn’t.     We stopped into Connections where we talked with Syd and Karen.  They had been awaiting our arrival and thankfully the part for our windlass that we ordered a couple of weeks ago to be shipped to them had arrived the day before.  It will be good to have a working windlass again and no longer have to haul the anchor up by sheer muscle.    We were invited to participate in the Friends of St. John, Beach to Beach Power Swim this weekend but with an entrance fee of $40.00 per person we opted to volunteer to help out instead.    We contacted Michael’s good friends Chris and Elsa Angel and met them for a wonderful Greek dinner at the Tamarind.   It was then that Chris told us he was competing in Foxy’s Wooden Boat Regatta over on Jost Van Dyke this weekend and that he could use some crew.    We had already promised that we would volunteer and help with the Swim, but I could see that Michael was chomping at the bit to get to race with Chris.   I suggested he and Chris head over for the race and some manly bonding time and I would remain on St. John and keep DD going while he was away as well as enjoy some girl time with Elsa and fulfill our promise to volunteer for the Swim.    We spent the next couple of days tracking down and visiting with our St. John friends,  surprising some, i.e. Jan and Lance by appearing at their by appearing at their businesses or in Terry (Sloop Jones) case slipping through his garden gate and up the path behind his home/studio.   We also enjoyed a wonderful Lunch at Skinny Legs’ with good friends Cindy and Paco Ward.   It has been wonderful reconnecting with old friends and an added delight when after lunch and while waiting for a squall to pass we met new friends Belinda and John and ended up spending the rest of our afternoon and evening sharing their company on the last evening of their vacation.   They had their own adventure when they ran out of gas on the way back from dropping us off in Coral Bay.   Welcome to the cruising lifestyle you two, where the unexpected happens and challenges us to draw on our wits and keep a sense of humor while working whatever problems we face usually in remote and exotic locations.    Mike and Chris headed out Friday (unfortunately without the camera) aboard Chris’ 37ft wooden Trimaran Rafiki to compete in the Regatta.    On Saturday,  I met up with Elsa and their dog Phinneus and enjoyed a wonderful hike to some old Danish Ruins.    An afternoon storm came up and I had left the Mighty Mouse on the beach.  I had set her anchor well above the tide line but when I returned that evening I found the wind and waves had caused the anchor to drag all the way to the waterline.  She had been pummeled by the rain and waves and was swamped.    It took me ½ hour of pumping to get the water out of her before I could head back to DD.    Lesson learned.    Tie off to something solid when leaving the dingy for any length of time.     I woke early Sunday morning and met the other volunteers on the beach to help set marker buoy’s and pick up water and station my dingy to distribute water to the swimmers.   We ended up with extra volunteers so I rafted up with the Whitback brothers an amazing couple of young entrepreneurs with a wonderful gift for boat building.  Check out their boat and website.  We swapped stories, handed out water, and shouted encouragement to those making the long swim and then joined the swimmers and other volunteers on the beach for Lunch and the Awards Ceremony.    Mike and Chris sailed back from Foxy’s with a respectable 2nd place just behind Angelfire,  a 52ft Trimaran and regaled us with stories of their weekend of racing.  We enjoyed a final dinner with Chris and Elsa who were hoping we could stay a few more days, but as always we must keep pressing south toward Grenada and out of the path of potential big Storms that are predicted to come this summer.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.



  1. Well it’s about time !!!!!

  2. Weeeeell it’s about time !!!!!

  3. It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things or tips. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read even more things about it!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: